Folkestone harbour Station redevelopment is now in full progress.

The next stage of the eagerly awaited Folkestone Seafront redevelopment will see the harbour station renovated. work is now pushing ahead at full steam ..

with no sign of a train in site !!!!!

Work is already being carried out to restore and repair the historic and listed harbour viaduct and swing bridge and the harbour station

The viaduct, which once carried trains into the harbour, will become a new pedestrian walkway for people to walk along the old platforms, down the tracks and onto the Harbour Arm pier.

another development will see the arrival of These  historic carriages, which have sat on the Wearside seafront for decades, will house a restaurant at Folkestone harbour’s historic railway station.
Advertisements

This is Plasser & Theurer VKR 05E tamper No. 74108 ‘stored’ at Wittersham Road on the Kent and East Sussex Railway 

This machine is an early 1960’s Plasser & Theurer VKR 05-E tamper DX74108. Apparently the tamping tines should vibrate with the ideal frequency of exactly 35 Hz. This directional, linear vibration combined with the non-synchronous tine movement produces a homogeneously compacted ballast

I don’t know much more about the machine . Sorry

Anyone else ?

Rye and Camber Tramway East Sussex Disused railway line Between Rye and Camber Sands

The Rye and Camber Tramway was an English railway in East Sussex. It was of 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge, relatively unusual amongst British narrow gauge railways. It operated from 1895 until 1939, connecting Rye to the coast. It was about 1 3⁄4 miles (2.8 km) in length, and had three stations – Rye, Golf Links and Camber Sands. It operated mainly to transport golfers to the golf links and The railway was constructed between January and July 1895 and ran entirely on private land. It was the first designed by consulting engineer Holman F. Stephens, who went on to build and run small railways all over the Country.

The line was built to convey golfers to the Rye Golf Club and ran from Rye station to the golf club. In 1908 the first extension to Camber Sands station was opened and the intermediate station renamed “Golf Links”. Camber terminal was moved to a more accessible site and a tea hut was opened at the end of summer 1938, but this only used for a few months as the war intervened the next year.
Although initially quite successful, increasing competition from automobile and bus transport eventually caused the tramway to enter a gradual economic decline, as was the case with many small railways. Passenger service was ended at the outbreak of World War II but it was extensively used by the Government to convey parts for the P.L.U.T.O. (Pipe Line Under The Ocean) project for which a special siding leading to a new pier near Golf Links Station was constructed by Canadian troops.
The line was in such a run-down a condition by the end of the war that it was deemed irrecoverable and was sold for scrap in 1947. The Rye & Camber Tramways Co. Ltd was liquidated in February 1949.holidaymakers to the coastal dunes.
Remains
A number of relics, including the frame and bogies of one of the carriages, can be seen at the Colonel Stephens Museum at Tenterden.
Golf Links station building survives virtually intact. Some track is embedded in concrete near the station as the trackbed was used as a roadway during wartime. Most of the route is a footpath, although a short section has been destroyed by gravel workings.
The line plays a prominent part in several novels by Rye resident E.F. Benson.
All photos copyright to frame me please
Pictures by https://framemeplease19.wixsite.com/trackbedwalker
Photographer https://framemeplease19.wixsite.com/trackbedwalker
Thankyou to the museum at Tenterden Town station
http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk

Folkestone Seafront redevelopment is now in full progress. The harbour station renovation continues

The next stage of the eagerly awaited Folkestone Seafront redevelopment will see the harbour station renovated. work is now pushing ahead at full steam ..

with no sign of a train in site !!!!!

Work is already being carried out to restore and repair the historic and listed harbour viaduct and swing bridge and the harbour station

The viaduct, which once carried trains into the harbour, will become a new pedestrian walkway for people to walk along the old platforms, down the tracks and onto the Harbour Arm pier.

another development will see the arrival of These  historic carriages, which have sat on the Wearside seafront for decades, will house a restaurant at Folkestone harbour’s historic railway station.